SLPA ACO, LLC was formed as an accountable care organization (ACO) in the summer of 2014 by ninety healthcare practices representing more than 250 physicians and 31 facilities who are members of the St. Louis Physician Alliance. An ACO is a healthcare organization characterized by a payment and care delivery model based on tying provider reimbursements to quality metrics and reducing the healthcare costs of an assigned or attributable population of patients. ACOs were first created in October 2011 by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) as a result of the Affordable Care Act. There are now hundreds of ACOs in operation across the country, working with both CMS and private payors.
The goal of an ACO is to transform the organization, delivery, and financing of care by replacing fragmented, uncoordinated care with a collaborative model in which healthcare providers coordinate treatment to achieve shared goals of better care at a lower cost. An ACO also encourages patient choice and a patient’s ability to have an active partnership with their healthcare providers.
As its first endeavor, SLPA ACO, LLC applied to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) and was awarded a three-year agreement beginning 1/1/2015.
For general questions or additional information about Accountable Care Organizations, please visit www.medicare.gov/acos.html or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
ACO Name and Location:
SLPA ACO, LLC
10733 Sunset Office Dr - Suite 262
St. Louis, MO 63127
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
ACO Primary Contact:
Amy Sullivan, Executive Director
- ACO Participants in joint ventures between ACO professionals and hospitals:
- SSM St Clare Surgical Center LLC*
- Scott Hardeman MD, Chair & voting member, ACO provider, Sound Health Services PC
- Robert Bell MD, voting member, ACO provider, Orthopedic Associates LLC
- Bruce Berwald MD, voting member, ACO provider, Berwald Surgical Medical Inc
- Christopher Bowe MD, voting member, ACO provider, St Anthony's Physician Organzation
- Dale Brewer DO, voting member, ACO provider, Cedar Hill Primary Care LLC
- Damon Broyles MD, voting member, ACO provider, St Anthony's Physician Organization
- Samer Cabbabe MD, voting member, Community representative
- Dennis Disch MD, voting member, ACO provider, The Heart Specialty Associates LLC
- Christopher Felling MD, voting member, ACO provider, Ballas Anesthesia Inc
- Paul Hinton MD, voting member, ACO provider, Hinton Healthcare Group
- George Hruza MD, voting member, ACO provider, Laser & Dermatologic Surgery Center Inc and United Skin Specialists Missouri Ltd PC
- Steven Jacobson MD, voting member, ACO provider, St Louis Medical Clinic PC
- Marian Lowe, voting member, Other: USPI SLPA representative
- David Seifert, voting member, Medicare Beneficiary representative
- Key ACO Clinical and Administrative Leadership:
- ACO Executive: Amy Sullivan
- Medical Director: Srinivasan Raghavan MD
- Compliance Officer: Michelle Castro
- Associated Committees and Committee Leadership:
- Quality Committee: Dennis Disch MD, Chair
- Technology Committee: Damon Broyles MD, Chair
- Finance Committee: George Hruza MD, Chair
- Credentialing Committee: Christopher Felling MD, Chair
- Compliance Committee: Michelle Castro, Chair
- Types of ACO participants, or combinations of participants, that formed the ACO:
- Network of individual practices of ACO professionals
Shared Savings and Losses:
Amount of Shared Savings/Losses
- Agreement period beginning 2015, Performance Year 2015: $0
Shared Savings Distribution
- Agreement period beginning 2015, Performance Year 2015
- Proportion invested in infrastructure: 0%
- Proportion invested in redesigned care processes/resources: 0%
- Proportion of distribution to ACO participants: 0%
Payment Rule Waivers
- No, our ACO does not utilize the SNF 3-Day Rule Waiver.
Quality Performance Results
- See 2015 Quality Performance Results Table here.
For more information on how to interpret scores on the above quality performance measures, see https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/sharedsavingsprogram/Downloads/MSSP-QM-Benchmarks.pdf